By Barry Janoff
December 19, 2013: With less than 50 days until the Opening Ceremonies for the 2014 Winter Olympics, marketers and athletes are solidifying their activation leading up to and during and post-Games.
Kellogg's, an official partner of the U.S. Olympic Committee, plans to turn its roster of Olympic and Paralympic athletes, hopefuls and legends into box office stars.
Team Kellogg's, with about a dozen current and former athletes, will appear on cereal boxes such as Frosted Flakes, Corn Flakes, Froot Loops, Crispix, Apple Jacks and Raisin Bran; and on packaging for Kellogg's brands including Pop-Tarts and Eggo.
The limited-edition products will hit retail later this month.
Among the athletes, Gretchen Bleiler (snowboarding) will appear on packages of Nutri-Grain and Corn Pops; Torin Yater-Wallace (freeskiing) will be on packages of Pop-Tarts, Apple Jacks and Krave; Jim Craig (goalie for the gold-medal winning 1980 "Miracle on ice" hockey team) will be featured on packages of Corn Flakes and Raisin Bran; and the image of figure skating icon Kristi Yamaguchi will be on Crispix, Frosted Mini-Wheats, Kellogg's Fiber Plus and Eggo.
Amy Purdy (Paralympic snowboarding) will get a wide array of exposure on Crunchy Nut, Frosted Mini-Wheats, Smacks and Smart Start packaging.
The activation is part of the company's umbrella "From Great Things Come Great Starts" multi-media campaign, which includes TV, print, Internet and social media.
A "Give A Great Start" initiative features Team Kellogg's athletes will "[showing] their support by tweeting out with #greatstarts and encouraging consumers to do the same." For each tweet with that hash tag, Kellogg's will help provide breakfast for a child in need.
"We're thrilled to feature all of the Team Kellogg's athletes on packaging, as a majority of them compete for Team USA to make it to the Sochi Games," Noel Geoffroy, svp-marketing and innovation for Kellogg's U.S. Morning Foods, said in a statement. "Our athletes truly believe that from great starts come great things, and we're proud to showcase them as the face of our products."
In addition to the front-of-pack images, all of the Team Kellogg's athletes will also be featured on the back of specially-themed packages for a wide variety of Kellogg's brands.
The Winter Olympics will be held Feb. 7-23, 2014.
Kellogg's Box Office Stars:
• Gretchen Bleiler (snowboarding): Nutri-Grain, Corn Pops
• Heath Calhoun (Paralympic Alpine skiing): Corn Flakes
• Jim Craig (hockey legend): Corn Flakes, Raisin Bran
• Meryl Davis and Charlie White (ice dancing): Crispix
• Sarah Hendrickson (ski jumping): Frosted Flakes and Froot Loops
• Ted Ligety (Alpine skiing): Corn Flakes, Frosted Mini-Wheats
• Noelle Pikus-Pace (skeleton): Rice Krispies, Cocoa Krispies
• Amy Purdy (Paralympic snowboarding): Crunchy Nut, Frosted Mini-Wheats, Smacks, Smart Start
• Kristi Yamaguchi (figure skating legend): Crispix, Frosted Mini-Wheats, Kellogg's Fiber Plus, Eggo
• Torin Yater-Wallace (freeskiing): Pop-Tarts, Apple Jacks and Krave
(Editor's note: Yater-Wallace's role in Sochi is still being determined after he fell earlier this month during a practice run at a Dew Tour event and suffered a collapsed lung and broken ribs.)
Q&A: Kellogg's A Sochi Cereal Thriller
Back to Sochi 2014
Back to Home Page