By Barry Janoff
April 11, 2017: The Golden State Warriors have again finished with the best record in the NBA, which counts not only for a rewarding advantage in the post-season, but also a rewarding result in marketing and sales.
For the second consecutive regular season, the Warriors’ Stephen Curry has the No. 1 spot among most popular jerseys.
In addition, the Warriors sit atop the list of most popular team merchandise, according to NBAStore.com sales since the beginning of the 2016-17 NBA season.
Kevin Durant proved to be a worthy addition to Golden State, with his jersey ranking No. 3 in sales in his first season with the team, despite his missing more than a dozen games due to injury.
LeBron James of the defending NBA champion Cleveland Cavaliers finished No. 2 in jersey sales and No. 1 in shoe sales (Nike).
The Cavs were second behind the Warriors in team merchandise.
Triple-double record-setter Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma City Thunder was No. 4 in jersey sales, with the Top 5 also including James’ Cleveland teammate, Kyrie Irving.
Nike overwhelmed the shoe sales list, with eight players in the Top Ten, including three who wear Nike Jordan: Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul, as well as the brand’s namesake, Michael Jordan, who’s retro and new shoe releases continue to drive sales among consumers.
Boding well for the NBA is that some teams that did not make the playoffs were among the Top Ten in merchandise sales, including the Los Angeles Lakers and Philadelphia 76ers.
The NBA did not release sales or financial figures for these categories.
MOST POPULAR PLAYER JERSEYS
1. Stephen Curry Golden State Warriors
2. LeBron James Cleveland Cavaliers
3. Kevin Durant Golden State Warriors
4. Russell Westbrook Oklahoma City Thunder
5. Kyrie Irving Cleveland Cavaliers
6. Kawhi Leonard San Antonio Spurs
7. Kristaps Porzingas New York Knicks
8. Jimmy Butler Chicago Bulls
9. Giannis Antetokounmpo Milwaukee Bucks
10. James Harden Houston Rockets
11. Dwayne Wade Chicago Bulls
12. Derrick Rose New York Knicks
13. Klay Thompson Golden State Warriors
14. Isaiah Thomas Boston Celtics
15. Damian Lillard Portland Trail Blazers
MOST POPULAR PLAYER SHOES
1. LeBron James (Nike)
2. Kyrie Irving (Nike)
3. Kobe Bryants (Nike)
4. Chris Paul (Nike Jordan)
5. Kevin Durant (Nike)
6. Derrick Rose (adidas)
7. John Wall (Nike)
8. Carmelo Anthony (Nike Jordan)
9. Stephen Curry (Under Armour)
10. Michael Jordan (Nike Jordan)
MOST POPULAR TEAM MERCHANDISE
1. Golden State Warriors
2. Cleveland Cavaliers
3. Chicago Bulls
4. Los Angeles Lakers
5. New York Knicks
6. San Antonio Spurs
7. Oklahoma City Thunder
8. Boston Celtics
9. Philadelphia 76ers
10. Toronto Raptors
SOURCE: NBA Store